H. Beaber - In the Philippines - Saturday, December 13, 1942-1945

The news this morning was to the effect that more than a hundred planes came over central Luxon yesterday and attacked several military objectives. Eleven were shot down.

Mr. Pineda came to see us. He had just walked in from Imus, said his brother was missing and was most likely killed in the raid on Cavite.

Cecil went to market but not much there.

No change in the fighting. Paper says that the USAFFE lines are holding. Went to Miso’s and tried to get news of the radio but seems that nothing is being broadcasted on the long wave lengths.

Also visited Rizalina a few minutes and told her to come to our place for meeting tomorrow morning.

Some of the neighbors are building air-raid shelters. Our little building has cement walls up about three feet and we will crouch behind them if they raid the city proper…

It is 11:30 a.m. and the sirens are sounding again. We got out to see what is happening but no planes. We have our dinner and soon after hear the motors of many planes. Fighters seem to be whirling and manuvering to the east of us. Then we can see the large bombers coming from the north. First a group of 16 and then a larger group of 25. As they fly over the city, we wonder if they will drop the bombs. They do not and we heave a little sigh of relief, but dread what will happen to their objective for it seems there are not fighter planes to drive them off and the anti-aircraft fire is not reaching them.

The first group dropped its load and the ground trembled and rocked under us. We could not tell whether it was Cavite or Nichols Field again. But we learned afterward that it was Nichols Field and the southern edge of Pasay. The second group dropped its load in the same area. The earth rocked and shook again as if it were having the chill and shivers. Fighting planes swooped and zoomed be we could not see the fights. Machine gun bullets spattered around us going through the nipa roofs but not penetrating the tin roofs. None seemed to come near us.

The first group swerved toward Corregidor on its return home and the guns there brought down one of the bombers. The second group turned inland and did a little bombing in other places. The all-clear signal did not come for some time, so that we did not have the opportunity to go to Pasay to visit our friends there nor to view the damage.

We visited Cruz’s and Ocompo’s and arranged a meeting for Sunday in our house.